An issue that often presents itself in infancy, nystagmus causes its sufferers to involuntarily and quickly moves the eyes in a rapid succession of movements. While most individuals with this medical condition will look up and down or sideways, others will swing their eyes all through the field of vision.
- Congenital nystagmus - present from birth, this condition is characterized by a pendulum-like motion of both eyes.
- Manifest nystagmus - this condition is affects its sufferers when both eyes are used.
- Latent nystagmus - this form of nystagmus only occurs when one eye is covered.
- Manifest-latent nystagmus - this problem is always apparent, but becomes worse if one eye is covered.
- Acquired nystagmus - unlike the other forms, this problem can occur as a side effect of medication, disease or other neurological problem.